Whatever the season, there’s no better place to holiday than in the great outdoors. Uncover the simple benefits of rural retreats, especially those that are close to home.
Our Glamping and Holiday Home industry partners are currently reporting an influx of bookings to self catered, rural accommodation, and it’s really no surprise. The benefits of choosing a rural retreat are plentiful.
Read on to discover our top five benefits of rural retreats and our favourite locations to enjoy a rustic holiday in style.
Most rural retreats, from woodlands and forests to remote coastlines, are fairly isolated choices. This means tons of added benefits including outdoor space that you won’t need to share and self contained facilities, all to yourself.
Choosing the best remote spots to holiday isn’t easy. Detach from the world with this simple search for rural retreats near you.
What’s your favourite thing about rural retreats?
We’d love to hear from you. Use the comments section at the bottom of the page to share your top rural retreat benefit with us and our readers.
2. Reset + Recharge
Creating the space to fully reset and recharge has never been more important. Rural retreats help you and your loved ones avoid your day-to-day stressors and reduce your overall stress levels too.
On a rural retreat, you can opt for zero screen time and focus on self care. There are even locations on offer with no internet connection at all for those of us who are really serious about recharging the batteries.
Press the reset button at these retreats for mind, body and spirit.
3. Eco Friendly
Rural retreats afford the opportunity to avoid long haul travel. More often than not, we don’t need to journey very far to find ourselves in nature. Therefore, you can say no to the plane, saving you precious holiday time and helping cut CO2 emissions too.
Instead, compare and save on car hire for your upcoming trip.
These eco friendly retreats near you are perfect for responsible travellers.
Rural and local holidays are also eco friendly in other ways too. For example, enjoy delicious local produce and show support for local business in nearby markets, shops and restaurants.
When it comes to retreats with excellent local food specifically, you’ll receive a complimentary English hamper when you book a stay at The Buzzardry or you can enjoy cooking local produce on this Kamado BBQ when you visit Malvern Hills Lodge.
Looking for more eco friendly travel ideas? You may also like these plastic free travel products for your rural retreat.
4. In Nature
Spending time in nature is really great for our health. Stretch your legs on local walks or hikes, re-balance emotions amongst the trees or waves, and escape your worries and anxieties by taking a proper break from life’s relentless pace.
Rural retreats also allow us to re-align with the seasons and our internal body clock. Ditch the mechanical alarm and wake with the sun, or learn something new, like how to forage local berries.
You may also like this Foraging for Wild Food & Nature Walk in London.
Take your pick from the most transformative retreats in nature, including awe-inspiring treehouse holidays in stunning locations.
Our favourite benefit of rural retreats is the opportunity to reconnect with romance. Being away from all the external noise provides one-on-one time with your significant other in special and memorable locations. On a rural retreat, it’s easier to devote quality time to your partner whilst also enjoying the undivided attention you deserve.
If you’re celebrating a special occasion, we highly recommend you book a luxury rural retreat option. Many romantic, rural properties will help you organise a variety of special touches, making your stay as memorable as possible.
Start with a search like this one for properties with hot tubs near you.
Did you know?
By booking a holiday now, instead of waiting, you are directly helping a local business that has suffered financial loss due to the coronavirus pandemic.
We’ve collected some of our favourite rural retreats and grouped them based on a very specific holiday experience. Here are our top rural retreats for…
Rural Retreats for Stargazing
1. Secret Garden – this romantic getaway with a difference allows you to sleep and ‘hot tub’ under the stars in perfect seclusion.
2. The Floathouse – this eco-friendly floating cabin has a wood burning stove and a sun deck, located thirty minutes on foot from Falmouth.
3. Homestead Modern No.1 – this stunning desert home comes with a hot tub, barbecue and incredible views, located near Joshua Tree National Park.
Hot Tub Retreats
1. Moat Cottage – this Tudor style cottage with valley views, your own moat and a very un-Tudor hot tub is located in rural Suffolk.
2. Malvern Hills Lodge – this luxury lodge with wood fired hot tub, Kamado oven and farm location is set in the stunning Malvern Hills.
3. The Burrow – this peaceful Powys holiday home really blends into the hillside despite its modern interior and private on site hot tub.
Rural Retreats with Sea Views
1. The Beach Hut – this off-grid South Devon beach hut is situated in the most jaw dropping location with a hot tub, barbecue and its own private beach.
2. Belle Tout Lighthouse – this charming converted lighthouse on the South Downs Way has panoramic views of the English Channel and the Seven Sisters.
3. Stormhouse – this contemporary holiday home in Argyll has breathtaking castle views, an ultra-modern design and a luxurious sunken hot tub.
The Best Treehouse Holidays
1. The Buzzardry – this magnificent cedar-clad treehouse has a copper bathtub in the main bedroom and views across a peaceful Sussex woodland.
2. Lovtag Treetop Cabins – this collection of three exclusive cabins in a small forest can be found in Northern Denmark – the ideal rural escape.
3. Bensfield Treehouse Kent Sussex – this incredible holiday home design features a living tree through the centre of the property.
Rural Retreats for Romance
1. Attrap’ Reves – these unique and luxurious bubble tents are situated in the middle of a gorgeous Provençal pine forest in France.
2. Lingholm Boathouse – this boathouse is located in one of the most idyllic spots in the Lake District, making it perfect for a romantic escape.
3. Ravendere Retreats Treehouse – this treehouse is secluded, romantic and impressively furnished – ideal for a North Devon retreat.
Eco Friendly Rural Retreats
1. Eagle Brae – these hand-crafted log cabins are nestled in the spectacular scenery of the Scottish Highlands for the perfect eco-friendly escape.
2. By The Wye – these comfy yet luxurious eco-friendly safari tents sit on the bank of the river Wye in Herefordshire.
3. Pan Treetop Cabins – these award-winning, six person, treetop cabins in north Norway offer extraordinary views and have a low eco footprint.
By making a purchase from one of the links in this blog, a small portion of the money you spend goes to Transform Me Travel. Thank you for supporting our small business, and the ones we lovingly share with you.
Your perfect retreat could involve properties by the sea or a spot of forest glamping. Regardless of your preference, there’s never been a more welcomed time to disconnect from the world to restore your sense of self.
If you’re seeking physical, mental or emotional restoration for you and your loved ones, simply choose your next holiday home and start enjoying all the benefits of rural retreats near you.
In this fast changing world, we’ll help you stay up to date. Subscribe to receive new travel blogs directly to your inbox.